Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed watching One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for homework this week. The acting and character development was incredible and the film successfully evoked many emotions within me. I thought it raised a lot of interesting ethical questions about how to go about "treating" the mentally ill. I liked how McMurphy wanted all the men in the ward to experience the real world by taking them fishing, getting them drunk/laid, and trying to show them a baseball game. I agree that simply throwing these people into the real world and the mainstream way of life can have a positive affect on their mental illness.
The film also reminded me of one of my favorite movies, It's Kind of A Funny Story. Also based on a book, this film involves a suicidal teenager who checks himself into a mental hospital. The characters he encounters and the progress they make throughout the movie are very similar. They even reference OFOTCK which I was not aware of until watching a particular scene. If you enjoyed this week's film definitely check out It's Kind of a Funny Story. It's a bit more comedic, modern, and quirky, but still an excellent movie.

1 comment:

  1. This movie is definitely within my top ten. I love the role of the antagonist nurse. She is so rigid and cold, and the audience immediately sympathizes with the mental patients. It gives the patients a common enemy that unites them, ultimately allowing them to feel normal for once.

    ReplyDelete